Friday, August 25, 2006

Late Summer Sadness

Criminal Grace inaugurates the season with: Back To School Blues

1. When you were a kid, did you do back-to-school shopping? No. Because our family was big--seven children--back to school was pretty much a couple of skirts, a couple of tops and a pair of shoes. Not of my choosing, and the rest were always hand-me-downs. Until I got my own job, it was pretty much a disappointment.

2. Do you still peruse the back-to-school aisles now that you're grown up? Not since my kids have grown, thank the Lord.

3. What back-to-school item did you just have to have, only later to find out it wasn't as useful as you thought? When I began working, in Junior High School, I bought a fancy notebook that was quickly stolen. I replaced it with a cheaper one.

4. What is your favorite TV show about school? Mr. Novak, because I thought James Franciscus was dreamy.

5. What was your favorite and least favorite part of going back to school? In my family we were rewarded for doing well, but I was always unhappy over the regimentation and discipline. Not doing well was asking for really big trouble at home. At school, kids could be hit, so that made the adults especially scary. I never realized how much it upset me until I became a teacher, and went into an awful depression over the classrooms, the corridors, the very smell of all the lacquer and paint chalk dust, etc.

Hated it. Still do. Glad those days are over. I should note that I didn't feel the same about college, although when I had to go for my "teaching career" I hated it just as much as the rest of the mess. Compulsory education sucks for anyone with any sense of self.

Now September is just a cooler version of the rest of the summer. I like it that way.

pb
Little Pond

No comments: