Thursday, June 25, 2009

What I miss the most

Now that I commute 1 1/2 hours each way, each day, to work, it's a no brainer. I miss the River and I miss my Riverdog and my naps.

It is beginning to look like it all is temporary.

Both of my riders/drivers are looking actively for local work. Supposedly so am I. For me, it's all online; there is nothing in the newspaper for two days per week. Literally nothing, no want ads. Wednesday and Thursday are negligible, because the real deal is 3 days Friday to Sunday. Those days the ads are looking for young professionals, mostly schools, government or charity. Some are worth considering.

Naturally there is no newspaper work. After all, the upcoming demise of print publishing is what got my whole mess started. I will wind up grabbing anything, anything, local when push gets to shove. Then I will find something to do from the computer. Even two part time jobs will allow me to regroup locally.

One thing is certain: I will not be able to afford commuting on my own. Right now a weeks worth of gas would be 50-60 bucks. That's what it costs me the times I drive. Add the recently purchased car at $150 per month, and the privilege of working in Binghamton would cost me $350 commuter costs alone. Then subtract out a day's pay every two weeks for the recession-related furlough.

Something local that pays significantly less would still pay.

Recessions are complicated messes, aren't they?

pb
Little Pond

1 comment:

Granny J said...

What a bummer! Good luck on the local angle.