Friday, November 04, 2005

My Blogfather's Book

Mommy Knows Worst has been out a while now. I've read it a few times and can heartily endorse it. I give it four stars out of five. If you've never read any of James Lileks' books, go to his website to get the flavor of his work. When you buy, Mommy would be a good place to start.

Perhaps a little distance from the subject would have made me like the book more. Born in the early 1950's, I remember some of the stuff, left over from the Post-War period. Makes it a bit less hilarious, mixed with some bad memories, I guess.

But the Gallery of Regrettable Food left me helplessly giggling for days on end! I also remember some of that crap, but am somewhat less traumatized by it all. And Interior Desecrations was a hoot--an excellent followup: of course it helps to have a sister who is a professional decorator. All the above books are reasonably priced and shipped immediately.

If nothing else, spend a few hours on the website. My favorite is the section on the Gobbler.

See, BlogFather? I love you, even if you do not acknowledge me.

pb
Little Pond

No comments: