Sunday, October 02, 2005

Watching the oncoming trainwreck.

Was it Fr. Andrew Greeley who was first publicly terrified of the possibility of Cardinal Ratzinger's elevation to the papacy? Any of his faithful readers would have the same horrible feeling as I did, hearing of the election. And yet I figured "Ratzinger the hatchetman could surely be softened and enlighted as Benedict the pope." How wrong I was!

But saints are not elected to the papacy, even though the papacy may occasionally carve out a saint. Can time ease this situation? Is there time enough?

When I was a young woman I considered leaving the Church, but it was just too painful to give up that part of me. There are lots of things I don't like about my country, and I will not leave. But the Church?

This post is full of question marks, but one thing is certain: This situation could ruin the Roman Catholic Church. At least for me.

pb
Little Pond

No comments: