Monday, May 16, 2005

Cook's Day

Tuesday will be cooking day. Grand-dog Ellie is gone to Golden Glow with her mamma. I want to make vegetarian chili, meat chili, and something akin to minestrone soup. The first two are time consuming and the last is to use up stuff while it is still fresh enough to qualify for a soup.

The vegetarian chili is for my vegetarian daughter, the meat chili is for me and the minestrone soup is for the both of us. Granddog's mamma is welcome to whatever she can scavenge from any of it. Husband RJ stomach doesn't deal with spicy foods or foods full of tomato.

For the record the vegetarian chili is mostly red and yellow bell peppers, garlic and parsley, onions, celery, chili powder, cumin, cilantro and green pepper sauce. Red pepper sauce will spice it up if necessary, and extra beans are added to tone it down, if necessary. No need for meat, but meat is added to taste afterwards in this house.

Some of the same ingredients go into the minestrone, but with Italian seasoning. Also green and yellow squash, carrots, green beans and cauliflor. After it's all cooked, add tomato and vegetable juice. Nothing says you can 't cheat with those frozen blends found at the grocers. I believe authentic minestrone has cabbage, but the vegetable juice coctails seem to approximate this.

Sound like a lot of trouble in the summer? I react very strongly to monosodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast, and hydrolyzed proteins. All regular ingredients in canned and frozen soups and sauces.

Somewhere in the middle of this, I will try to post.


pb
Little Pond

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could understand how doing a search for how to cook rice got me to this post. Not that I mind, you understand pb. It's just that I don't think it's exactly what I was looking for :0)