Monday, May 30, 2005

God Bless the USA

I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.
Lee Greenwood
I offer humble gratitude to those men who gave their lives for our freedom. No thanks can ever be enough. And I want to honor those whose lives were changed, damaged by their sacrifice. "Never another Viet Nam!" I mean the disgusting behavior of those who did not welcome back our fighting men, and who ridiculed, spat on and demoralized them.
A part of every warrior dies on the battlefield. Memorial day rightly belongs to the dead, but every day, let's thank a soldier or a veteran who survived.
We cannot and have not won every war. There is no dishonor in losing, only in failing to try. I do not honor my Grandfather's contribution to the Mexican-American conflict any less because we didn't win. In fact, he wasn't ashamed of that war. He was sent to do a job, and he did it. I was amazed to hear him tell of this "other" war on the Texas border. American History barely touched on it, leaving no real impression. But John Irving Baker was a hero of that war, also.
I am grateful to the people of our past and their part in who I am now. Our war dead and living veterans are the reason we have a country to love.
Eternal peace to our war dead. Eternal gratitude to our veterans.
pb
Little Pond

No comments: